Hi all

I've just sent you a message via Ning but thought I'd reiterate it here.

I'd be interested to discover where theatre artists in the borough congregate - would you be interested in turning a virtual network into a physical one? What are your thoughts re. the LBWF funding possibilities, or the creative practitioners' forum?

Regardless of all the strategies being suggested or implemented, do you still feel like you're striving to create theatre in a vacuum within the borough?

Send me your thoughts individually, or post here.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Jules Tipton [Director & Theatre Practitioner]

Views: 45

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jules,

Thanks for starting this conversation - it definitely needs to be had!

I sort of get the feeling (and maybe I'm wrong) that Waltham Forest is a place where many theatre artists choose to live (and many more than will actually be linked in to this forum) but not a place to actually base their practice. I know quite a few performers and directors who have ended up living in Waltham Forest on moving to London, but they do not see themselves as part of a local creative community.

Perhaps this doesn't matter, but it seems there are a lot of talented people living here, who are working in other parts of the City. And it's obvious why - there is no one offering any theatre jobs here. If you want to make theatre in Waltham Forest, you have to be prepared to really make it happen - pretty much from scratch.

Getting a strong network of theatre practitioners together is an ideal place to start. I really have no idea what anyone else is doing in the borough theatre-wise, so it does feel like a bit of a vacuum to be honest, yes.

Let's get together!

Tessa

Thanks for responding, Tessa!

I think you're right re. the borough being a place of residence rather than essentially a place in which to create theatre. There would be plenty of aspects of the area to create theatre about, & those to engage in the broader community, & non traditional theatre spaces in which to place a happening - check out "Fun Palaces", the initiative to celebrate the life & work of Joan Littlewood. The events happen in October - perhaps this might be something small to begin a collaborative theatre community/community theatre event for?

Let's see who else might be interested in meeting to open up the general conversation first.

Look forward to meeting up soon.

Jules

Tessa Buddle said:

Hi Jules,

Thanks for starting this conversation - it definitely needs to be had!

I sort of get the feeling (and maybe I'm wrong) that Waltham Forest is a place where many theatre artists choose to live (and many more than will actually be linked in to this forum) but not a place to actually base their practice. I know quite a few performers and directors who have ended up living in Waltham Forest on moving to London, but they do not see themselves as part of a local creative community.

Perhaps this doesn't matter, but it seems there are a lot of talented people living here, who are working in other parts of the City. And it's obvious why - there is no one offering any theatre jobs here. If you want to make theatre in Waltham Forest, you have to be prepared to really make it happen - pretty much from scratch.

Getting a strong network of theatre practitioners together is an ideal place to start. I really have no idea what anyone else is doing in the borough theatre-wise, so it does feel like a bit of a vacuum to be honest, yes.

Let's get together!

Tessa

Yes - I love the Fun Palaces idea.

Look forward to meeting with some of you soon to talk about this and other issues around theatre making in the borough.

Tessa

RSS

© 2017   Created by Thomas Hardy.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service